Getting a G1 in Ontario: Top questions answered on getting your drivers license

16 years of age or older? You can apply for a driver’s license in Ontario. So what do you need to know first? We’ve compiled the in-and-outs of getting your drivers license, from G1 to full G, and your top questions!

Who Qualifies?

To get a G1, all you need to do is:

  1. Be 16 years of age or older
  2. Pass an eye text (at the MTO)
  3. Pass a written test (at the MTO)

How to book a G1?

Go to any DriveTest Centre with an original (not a copy) ID that shows your legal full name, your signature, and your date of birth.

Find a DriveTest Centre

See a list of accepted IDs

[box type=”note” style=”rounded” border=”full”]


When you use to get an online insurance quote, you can be assured you are making a good decision.

  • You’ll be getting quotes from leading Ontario insurance companies
  • You’re privacy and information is protected
  • We are a Canadian company, and proud of it!
  • Free to try and see if we can save you money!

Plus, we have actual real people on the other end of the phone, ready to help you save time and money on your insurance.

Show me my quote[/box]

How do I get my Class G2 Licence?

You have to wait 8 to 12 months after getting your Class G1 licence before you can book a Class G2 road test with the MTO.

If you successfully complete a beginner driver education course, you can book it as soon as 8-months after, otherwise you have to wait 12-months. And you have to wait until the time is up until you can book the appointment.

Book a G2 Road Test Online

Top Frequently Asked Questions about G1s

Can G1 drivers buy a car?

Yes of course! There are no restrictions on buying a car with a G1.

Can G1 drivers drink alcohol?

Not before driving, no. G1 driver’s must maintain a zero-blood-alcohol level will driving. Even one drink would put you over that limit.

Can G1 drivers drive after dark?

Kinda. G1 drivers may not drive between midnight and 5 AM.

Can G1 drivers use the highway?

Not major highways. G1 drivers are not permitted on 400-series highways including the 401, 403, 406, GEW, Gardiner, and Conestoga Parkway etc, unless accompanied by an Ontario licensed driving instructor.

Do G1 drivers need insurance of their own?

No, G1 drivers are covered by the car insurance policy of the qualified fully-licensed driver that they are with (see requirements for that person), as long as that person has notified their insurance company that they are driving with a G1 license holder.

So although the G1 driver does not need their own policy, every vehicle on the road in Ontario must be covered by an insurance policy.

What restrictions do I have as a G1 driver?

You may drive any passenger, road legal car in Ontario, however, there are some restrictions:

  1. Be accompanied by a fully-licensed in Ontario driver with 4+ years experience, blood alcohol level of less than 0.05 (or 0 if under 21 years of age), and be sitting in the front passenger seat.
  2. Limit the number of passengers to the number of working seatbelts in a vehicle.
  3. Cannot drive between midnight and 5 AM.
  4. Cannot drive on 400-series highways including the 401, 403, 406, GEW, Gardiner, and Conestoga Parkway etc, unless accompanied by an Ontario licensed driving instructor.
  5. Have a blood alcohol level of 0 (zero).

Can I use my foreign drivers license?

A very popular question for new Canadians and visitors alike: What if I already have a drivers license from my country? Will my out-of-country drivers license work in Ontario?

The short answer is: maybe.

First though, if you are visiting from another country for less than 3 months you do not need to get a new license:

If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months, you can use a valid driver’s licence from your own province, state, or country.

However, if you are staying longer than 3-months, keep reading. It all depends on what country you are from, and if they have a Licence Exchange Agreement with Ontario.

Your first stop should be finding out if your country of origin has one with Ontario: Check out this list of countries

It will also depend on:

  • The type of license you are seeking
  • What documentation and ID you have with you
  • How many years experience you have driving in that country